DISD Media Guidelines
The Donna Independent School District is committed to working cooperatively with the news outlets. It is the role of the Public Relations Department to assist schools in contacting media representatives related to campus news, events and activities, preparing for an on-site visit and responding to news outlet inquiries.
- -All media inquiries should be directed to the Public Relations Department, including those sent via email. Exceptions include routine athletic and/or extracurricular activity news coverage during games, tournaments and/or performances open to the general public and conducted outside the normal school day.
- -The Communications Office should be contacted immediately when a representative of the media requests to visit a campus or arrives at a campus or district facility without prior approval. If a member of the media is on site without prior approval, he/she should be asked to leave. Please contact the Public Relations Department at 956-464-1600 ext. 1105.
- -A member of the media may interview staff or students during the school day with prior approval from the Communications Office. Media representatives may be -allowed access to a classroom only at the discretion of the Public Relations Department, and only if the campus principal, classroom teacher and/or appropriate staff member(s) have been notified and have agreed that it will not be disruptive to the learning environment. The taking of photographs, audio or video is at the discretion of the PR Office.
- -Prior to any media visit, appropriate time must be given to district administrators to verify student privacy preferences and provide appropriate notification to the campus and building administrators.
- -The DISD strictly enforces student privacy preferences and release of student information as outlined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- The Superintendent or designee shall be the official spokesperson for The District.